What it will take
Going up to 20 000 kms to Africa has taken a lot of organising and stuff ... and thanks to those who make their contributions and through sheer hard work and determination I have managed to achieve the following:
- Buying, what I hope is the right van, for the journey - BlueBelle
- Buying all the equipment I believed was essential for the journey
- Building the interior of the van ready for my journey (with a little bit of home as I go)
- Test driving BlueBelle to ensure that I could handle her and manage through different terrains
- Keeping body and soul together while I was doing all of this.
I am still lacking some of the funding to complete the journey but I have decided to get started in November of 2018, a week before my 60th birthday as my greatest wish is to be on the continent of Africa, and starting my journey, when I turn 60 at the end of November.
I am still seeking a sponsor who believes in my quest, to make this journey on my own as a woman, to raise awareness of and attention to the education of women and to interview the amazing women of Africa to share and tell their stories for a channel and possible documentary.
I am expecting the journey to take at least 6 months, I don't want to dash through it, rather I would like to enjoy the journey, meet the people and discover more of the continent of Africa.
I am often asked if I am travelling alone and despite many offers from friends and strangers to accompany me, I will be travelling alone. Primarily because I choose this as my personal quest (sometimes these things need to be done alone), because there is only room in my van to sleep one and I don't really want to be responsible for another person on an uncertain journey.
I hope you will join me on this adventure on Facebook and Instagram @goinghometoafrica.